Corporate Social Responsibility
WABCO India designs, manu- factures and markets conventional braking products, advanced braking systems, and other related air assisted products and systems. With five world-class manu- facturing facilities, technology center and a vehicle testing facility near Chennai, WABCO excels in engineering and manufacturing. WABCO India is committed to social sustainability and this commitment arises from our vision of “Saving Lives. Protecting the environment.”
WABCO India’s CSR policy lays emphasis on the company to undertake CSR activities in the areas falling within the ambit of the Companies Act, 2013 with preference being given to the local areas where the Company operates which includes promoting preventive health care, sanitation, making available safe drinking water, promoting education, employment enhancing vocation skills, livelihood enhancement projects, promotion of road safety awareness in all facets of road usage, vehicle drivers’ safety and training, promoting gender equality, empowering women, environmental sustainability, contributions to technology incubators located within academic institutions etc.
WABCO India’s CSR Committee of the Board identifies areas for implementing its CSR activities as per the policy, recommends the amount of expenditure to be incurred, and monitors the implementation of the CSR activities.
WABCO India undertakes its CSR activities either directly or through an implementation agency. WABCO India has formed a Trust in the name of WABCO India Foundation which will undertake and implement CSR projects on behalf of the Company going forward.
WABCO INDIA LTD has chosen the following sites for implementing the CSR Projects:
- WABCO INDIA LTD – Ambattur, Chennai
- WABCO INDIA LTD – Proving Ground, Sriperumbudur (near Chennai)
- WABCO INDIA LTD – Jamshedpur plant
- WABCO INDIA LTD – Lucknow plant
The above mentioned locations were chosen considering that they had poor infrastructure and a large percentage of under privileged people belonging to low socio economic group.
Implementation Process: Identification of Projects
All projects are identified in a participatory manner, in consultation with the community, by discussing with them and gauging their basic needs. Subsequently, based on a consensus and in discussion with the village panchayats, the projects are prioritized.
Based on their needs, WABCO INDIA LTD has completed the following projects.
- The Third Main Road of Ambattur Industrial Estate, which is a very busy road was not having structured storm water drain due to which there was water clogging on the roads during rainy days leading to a threat to the safety of the motorists.
- The Third Main Road of Ambattur Industrial Estate was not having dedicated parking lots for the motorists, due to which there was haphazard parking leading to the inconvenience of other motorists.
- To create greenery and spread safety awareness along the Third Main Road of Ambattur Industrial Estate.
- Participation in the 27th National Road Safety Awareness week along with the Tamil Nadu Government between 10.01.2016 and 16.01.2016.
- December 2015 Chennai Flood relief operations
- Preventive Health camps to the Govt.Primary school children around Chennai Ambattur Corporation.
- Skill development centers for the ITI’s of North Eastern States
Based on the above facts, WABCO INDIA LTD constructed a storm water drain and dedicated parking lot. Trees were planted along the center medians with auto irrigation system. Safety slogan boards were posted along the median to create Road Safety Awareness among the motorists.
|DATE||ACTIVITIES CONDUCTED||NUMBER OF BENEFICIARIES|
|1||09.12.15||Free Medical Camp conducted at Korattur, Ambattur||136|
|2||10.12.15||Free Medical Camp conducted at Mangalapuram, Ambattur||156|
|3||11.12.15||Free Medical Camp conducted at Managalam Nagar, Porur||375|
|4||11.12.15||Handing over of 910 litres of disinfectent (Phenyl) for sanitation purpose to the Health authorities of Ambattur Chennai Corporation||NA|
|5||15.12.15||Handing over of Public Address System to the Health authorities of Ambattur Chennai Corporation||NA|
|6||15.12.15||Free Medical Camp conducted at Tirutheri, Chengalpet||145|
|7||15.12.15||Free Medical Camp conducted at SP Koil, Chengalpet||162|
|8||30.12.15||Free Medical Camp conducted at Madhiravedu, Vellapanchavadi||311|
|9||31.12.15||Free Medical Camp conducted at West Mambalam, Chennai||170|
|10||07.01.2016||Free Medical Camp conducted at Jafferkhanpet, Chennai||165|
|11||09.01.16||Free Medical Camp conducted at Anjineyar Temple, Porur||425|
|12||09.01.16||Handing over of Cheque to Little flower Deaf & Dumb School Authorities||NA|
Proving Ground, Sriperumbudur
The Government Primary School of the village Hussain Nagar, located adjacent to our vehicle testing facility, where nearly 200 school children study, faced two acute problems.
- Damaged floors of three class rooms, due to which the children were facing the problem of hygiene and a poor ambience for studying. They requested for re-lay of the floorings.
- The school was facing water scarcity, as they did not have their own source of water resource and had been depending upon the village common water facility which was practically non existent. Hence they requested for a bore well within their premises with submersible motor.
Now the school children are studying clean and hygienic class rooms and have access to uninterrupted water supply.
- Village Ramchandrapur, located adjacent to our plant faced severe water scarcity due to the lack of water. The available water resource which comprised of three hand pumped borewells were in need of some maintenance and due to non-availability of funds by the local body, it was left unattended to.
- The Government primary school of the village Upperbera was facing water scarcity, as they did not have their own source of water resource and had been depending upon the village common water facility which was practically non existent. Hence they requested for a bore well within their premises with submersible motor.
- After the completion of the above two projects, the villagers and school children are not facing any issue of water scarcity.
Somaiya Nagar Govt school’s toilet was in an unusable condition which posed health risks for the school children. WABCO INDIA LTD renovated the toilet block along with submersible motor with overhead tank facility to provide uninterrupted water facility.
Somaiya Nagar village did not have a bus shelter due to which the villagers had to bear discomfort while waiting for the bus. WABCO INDIA LTD, constructed a bus shelter at the Somaiya Nagar Bus stop.