Owens Corning India’s Work
in the Sanitation Space
OWENS CORNING INDIA
Owens Corning develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2016 sales of $5.7 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. Owens Conning is listed in NYSE, a Fortune 500 Company for 62 consecutive years and committed to balancing economic growth with social progress and environmental stewardship.
Owens Corning is supporting the Indian market in this space through dissipating its material science knowledge, application know how and brand connect to bridge access to manufacture and facilitate turnkey services for glass fiber based modular toilets.
India has a population of more than 1.2 billion people, out of which nearly 600 million people, or 55 percent, have no access to toilets. These numbers are alarming and having potentially serious health implications.
This inadequacy triggered the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan program at this scale and in turn a need to build 120 million toilets by 2019 costing ~ $30 Billion. This initiative is welcome, but come with challenges for implementation around quick construction, proliferation and maintenance.
What we offer in the sanitation space
- Glass fiber based materials and application know-how support around designing, manufacturing and installing toilets.
- Turnkey facilitation and marketing support through its Preferred Network fabricators and installers for organizations keen to source and execute construction of toilets with speed.
- Techno-commercial and marketing support to companies wanting to enter into manufacturing of toilets and other allied structures using these materials.
The challenges with current and conventional materials of construction:
- Speed and scalability in construction: To execute large numbers on time, it is imperative that the material of construction brings element of design flexibility, optimization in resource usage amongst others.
- Maintenance: Building toilets is one deal, but maintaining them well efficiently and affordably is another. This is where advanced materials drive the advantage of being maintenance friendly.
- Sanitation Waste Management: Waste management systems are key component of the toilet system. Having a waste management system affordable, design friendly and easy to install with the right technologies to effectively dispose waste is required.
- Cost Effective Execution: With a big portion of this sanitation program is driven by subsidies, a solution which brings the right element of cost effectiveness is equally significant and vital.
The Differential Impact Owens Corning has made so far:
- Execution for leading sanitation firms/NGO’s: We have cohesively engaged to enable turnkey facilitation execution work on ground in commercially building toilets for a couple of the prominent NGO’s in India having installed more than 200 units and still counting.
- Creation of ecosystem to execute pan India: We have created an ecosystem of preferred network fabricators, contractors. Recently, we entered into an alliance with a sanitation aggregator organization based in Bhubaneshwar. This ecosystem would support end to end facilitation services to execute toilets for NGO’s and corporates. The first major milestone we are set to execute through this alliance is executing toilets for Madurai Corporation.
- Recognitions: One of our preferred network members’ toilet design made with GRC materials has been recognized by Government Drinking Water & Sanitation Department) and by a reputed German University. Further, Owens Corning’s design guidelines was also bestowed with an Innovation Award at the hands of Dr. Mashelkar. These initiatives would support in the push of proliferation and awareness.
- Diversification & Start up Support: We have been successfully handholding companies with support around technology and manufacturing keen to enter to diversify into manufacturing of toilets with these materials besides helping them with technical and marketing services.
- CSR Contribution: Through its own small way, Owens Corning has been contributing part of its CSR in building toilets across India in and around our current plants and intend to continue the same in the future.
Benefits of Owens Corning’s Glass Reinforced Concrete (GRC) Material
GRC based modular toilets are structures made with Owens Corning’s Anti-crack® HD reinforced mortar precast panels. Anti-crack® HD is a ‘’High Performance’’ Alkali Resistant (AR) glass fiber engineered to increase flexural performance adding toughness, impact, and fatigue resistance to concrete. AR glass fibers are unique as a concrete reinforcement with same specific gravity as stone or gravel mixed in concrete so fiber dispersion is easier to achieve than with other fibers.
GRC materials are an excellent engineered system which provides benefits when used for making toilet and waste management structures:
- Lightweight: Thin-walled lightweight structures against typical precast structures with primary glass fiber reinforcement. This supports easy and quick installation. Typically, AR glass fiber reinforcements can reduce the weight and thickness of concrete by a factor of 10 compared to conventional steel reinforced materials/. Further, concrete consumption gets reduced by around 70% making the overall solution cost effective and sustainable (less water usage during mixing).
- Easy & quick to install with reduced labor – Modular design and light weight nature of this toilet makes them very easy and quick to install. Installation time reduces to almost 1/3rd of the current brick and mortar. Further, labor reduces by around 1/2 during installation saving overall manpower and time.
- Enhanced Corrosion Resistance & Overall durability: GRC system inherently contributes enhanced mildew and algae resistance benefits enhancing the overall corrosion resistance compared to conventional materials. To summarize, durability is enhanced through AR fibers in the formulation supporting lower porosity → reduced water penetration → Long Life and low maintenance.
- Easy and Cost Effective Transportation: Modular design blocks make it easy and cheaper to transport.
- Better Aesthetics and Appearance: These toilets have been aesthetically designed and painted. This has started to induce positive behavioral changes in the society by regular usage, maintenance and collective social ownership.
- Helping fulfill basic needs of the community: Last but not least, faster installations would help provide access of basic amenities to poor villagers, school children and the community at large. This has improved lives and reducing the drop outs of school children (especially female children)
- Tailor made to suit different and Urban development needs like Smart & AMRUT Cities: These materials can be well engineered and designed into panels suiting individual, community and public toilets. Further, these toilets have the potential to help incorporate smart IOT based accessories.
In India, we have self-motivated, committed people who are working towards community work. This helps Owens Corning’s Purpose – Our People and Products make the world a better place.