CSR in our DNA
INTERNATIONAL PAPER INDIA
International Paper (IP) India Pvt. Ltd is the group company of International Paper which is a leading global producer of renewable fiber-based packaging, pulp and paper products with manufacturing operations in North America, Latin America, Europe, North Africa, Asia and Russia. IP produces packaging products that enable world-wide commerce; pulp for diapers, tissue and other personal hygiene products; papers that drive communication; paper bags that carry groceries; and paper cups and food containers. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., IP employs roughly 55,000 colleagues located in more than 24 countries. Net sales for 2016 were US $21 billion.
Tribal Communities and Problems in Education
While the Literacy rate of the country stands at an average of 72.9%, the same is only 58.9% in Scheduled tribes (2011 statistics) and in Andhra Pradesh it is lower at 49.2%. The national drop-out rate in Classes I to X averages to 49.3% while it is 70.9% amongst Scheduled Tribes.
International Paper works with a tribal residential school named Girijana Vikas Kendram in the Addateegala mandal in EG District and bordering Visakahpatnam district. The school is located in a remote reserved forest area and though there is a road adjacent which leads to Addateegala, the mandal headquarters, the school does not have several critical facilities like drinking water connection, sufficient toilets for girls and several other infrastructure requirements.
Support Provided by IP APPM – CSR 2014,2015 & 2016
- Safe Drinking Water Plant – The school has been given a 250LHP (liters per hour) Safe Drinking Water plant as the ground water was identified as having microbial contamination. The plant was set up inside the school building next to the Staff Room and members of the staff were trained to operate the plant.
- Row Toilets & Bathrooms For Girls – A separate building was constructed with a row of 8 toilets and 8 bathrooms for the girl students. Prior to this the total toilets available were only 8 and were located at one place. The toilets infrastructure assured the girls of privacy and more toilets ensured better access for all students
- Compound Wall for the school – To improve the security for the girl students as there were several miscreants from nearby villages who were loitering around the school a compound wall measuring 1700 feet perimeter wall of 6 feet height above the ground with double barbed wire fencing and 2 iron gates was built.
Any construction work in the school is a difficult task because of the location – availability of material, man-power, transportation, connectivity (except for BSNL CDMA no other networks have signal here) and disruptions due to heavy monsoon that this region experiences.
Material Support to the students: Solar lamps, note-books, bags and shoes and socks (a first for the students) have also been given.
Health & Sanitation
Right To Life: Right To Safe Water – A Fundamental Right
Article 21 of the Constitution of India guarantees to its citizens the Fundamental Right – Protection of Life and Personal Liberty. Several High Courts and The Supreme Court of India have over the years interpreted right to life to include right to Safe Water. “Access to Safe water is a fundamental human need and therefore a basic human right “ Kofi Annan. The Human Right to Water and Sanitation (HRWS) was recognized by the United Nations General Assembly on 28th July 2010. International Paper has always served communities around its mills through CSR in several ways – but has placed paramount importance to providing Safe Drinking Water. While doing so, International Paper has always reached out to the most marginalized communities
Safe Drinking Water is being supplied by IP totalling to approximately 3000+Households (HHs):
- Piped water – 1600 Households
- Tanker Supply – 500 Households
- Safe Drinking Water Plants – Totally 7 plants – 970 Households (6 of the 7 plants were set up in 2015-16)
As it is possible to supply water through the first 2 platforms only to communities/areas within reasonable distance from the paper mill, the third platform, Safe Drinking Water plants, was selected to be the most important initiative that was carried out as part of the CSR program in the years 2015 and 2016. To ensure that the communities where we are present have better drinking water access/resources, we not only had to set up the Safe Drinking Water Plants but also worked on a partnership pattern which would include the Panchayat and the villagers – a Public Private Pluralistic Partnership (PPPP).
Self Sustaining Safe Drinking Water Plant Achieved
In order to establish a self-sustaining plant the villagers have to be educated and motivated to buy water, through their subscriptions bring in revenue for the Panchayat to both fund the day to operation like power charges and operator salary while also paying for the repairs and maintenance of the plant. One such model has already been established while a couple of others are very close to becoming self-sustaining.
A success story which can be replicated by creating a PPPP model.
The Corporate Social Responsibility activities of International Paper and IP India Foundation are divided broadly as Education, Engagement and Environment.
Under Education, Academic & Infrastructure Support to government schools and schools for under-served are carried out based on the need assessment conducted in the school and community. Under Academic Support the following are the activities that are being carried out:
- As part of its CSR, runs an affordable English medium School, the APPM Model High School, within the premises of the APPM employee colony/quarters. Only 30% of the students (total 1270 students) are workers children while the others are from the neighboring communities
- An employee contribution based fee support program – called Project Saathi helps arrest school drop-outs and also prevents children from doing odd jobs to support the family/their fees.
- Project New Horizons – Spoken English Classes currently done in 5 government high schools, the larger aim of the program is that by 2020 all the Government school leaving children of Rajahmundry town will speak English
- IP Scholarships is the support program for meritorious students from Government Schools to continue their education after Class X .
- Teachers Training : 200+ Government primary school teachers from Kadiam Mandal and APPM School were trained through workshops held in 2015 & 2016
Under Infrastructure Support – Project 100 intends to reach support to 100 Government and schools for under-served. The following were done over the past 3 years
- Compound walls – 3 schools
- Safe Drinking Water Plants – 4 schools
- School painting – 2 schools (volunteering by employees)
- Girls Toilets – 2 schools
- Furniture – 4 schools
- Solar lamps – 25 schools
- Note-books, bags, socks & shoes – 6 schools