Emerson in India:
Making a Difference
EMERSON ELECTRIC COMPANY (INDIA)
Emerson, headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, is a global manufacturing company that brings technology and engineering together to provide innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial and consumer markets around the world.
Emerson first entered India directly in the 1980’s through joint-venture relationships with several Indian-owned companies, and has been investing significantly in India since the 1990’s. Since then, Emerson has fully acquired several of these joint ventures and integrated the companies into its existing businesses platforms which have further expanded the regional sales and operation footprint.
Today Emerson in India has over 6500 employees at 10 manufacturing locations, 5 Global Engineering Centers and 35 offices across the country.
Emerson CSR Guiding Principles
In 2015, Emerson launched in India its corporate citizenship program called “Making a Difference” while addressing the unmet needs of society, communities and people. Emerson’s goal has been to implement a program which:
- Will not discriminate and will provide equal opportunities to communities and affected people
- Will focus on the underprivileged
- Will not be limited to any one organization or community
- Will provide forward looking, far reaching, impactful and enduring results
Education is the initial focus of these efforts, where Emerson is seeking to build awareness and interest in science and its applications to help reduce overall school drop-out rates and aid in the continuity of education of underprivileged youth. To learn more about us, please visit: http://www.emerson.com/en-in/AboutUs/Pages/corporate-citizenship.aspx.
Collaboration with NGOs
Emerson India is contributing to community development, particularly in the field of education by participating with the following NGOs:
Agastya International Foundation
- Brings innovative science education to Government schools in various states
- 115 Mobile Science vans to take science education to the village doorstep
- 43 Science Centers as resource hub for schools and communities
- 135 Operation Vasantha Centers community run remedial classes
- Emerson contributed to developing the Science lab Pune and Pilani program launched in summer 2015
Purkal Youth Development Society
- PYDS provides “out of the box” education through ‘Learning by Doing’
- The school aims to provide residential facilities to all the girls and boys in the School post class 5
- With Emerson assistance the school’s infrastructure can improve to cater for increasing number of underprivileged students
- The Girls Hostel has been inaugurated in May 2016.
SOS Children’s Village
- Quality education reflected through improved performance of youth leading to a healthier and more prosperous life
- Over the years this program has created a network of supporting adults who hand hold each other to tide over life situations
- The settled youth have not only found their way, but their descendants are likely to escape the vicious cycle of being underprivileged
- Emerson funding of SOS Children Villages will support the education of approximately 1400 students across 32 villages for professional courses
- Masoom partners with night schools to facilitate the “Night School Transformation Program” and strive to establish quality education
- Among the various projects are Leadership Academy, Night School Toolkit, Tech-Wheels and Helpline
- Masoom has expanded skills development courses for 250 students, key areas include Digital Filmmaking, Photography, Animation, Graphic Design, Beautician, Mobile Repairing, Electrician, Retail, Plumbing and Book Binding
- Address the issue of school drop-outs prevalent amongst under-privileged students
- Lend a Hand India focuses in making school education practical and relevant by providing pertinent job and life skills training
- “Project Swadheen” provides job skills and life skills training as part of existing school curriculum
- With support from Emerson, Lend-A-Hand-India is upgrading the existing school vocational education program (Project Swadheen) to be NSQF (National Skills Qualification Framework) compliant with certification from National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) in 15 schools covering 1200 students annually
Research & Development
The Emerson Innovation Center in Pune is an essential part of Emerson Global engineering network contributing to R&D requirements of Emerson business units globally. Major activities include new product development, sustaining engineering, engineered to order products, engineering simulations, product lifecycle management, design automation, manufacturing engineering, prototyping, analog/digital hardware development, embedded firmware/software development, application software development and design verification.
The center represents a best in class facility supporting a broad spectrum of products and system design for Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions and Automation Solutions business platforms; key activities are in the area of compressors, sensors, transmitters, flow meters, gas chromatographs, control valves & actuators and thermostats, with design activities in the field of mechanical, electrical, electronics, software engineering and system design.
The R&D center’s key contributions are:
- 500 patent applications and 150 patent granted
- Contributed to 150+ new products in last 3 years
- Over 55% of contribution is towards New Product Development
- Established a robust innovation framework & culture to foster creativity
- World-class labs facilities
- Over 700 employees
- Strong collaboration with local universities
Innovation & Manufacturing Hubs
With over 2000 employees, Pune is Emerson India’s key hub for manufacturing and innovation. The Emerson Export Engineering Center caters to the entire project management lifecycle from quote to order, committed to high quality execution and delivery. The Engineering Center delivers projects worldwide with PMP certified Project Managers, Planners, Cost Controllers, Project Administrators and Finance Analysts, ensuring satisfaction of every stakeholder. With its engineering strength, diverse knowledge of processes, high standards and continuous trainings, this center is delivering innovative solutions that help customers achieve their business objectives in various industries. The factories in Pune contribute to best-in-class manufacturing processes and systems taking advantage of local resources. The factories manufacture state-of-the-art compressors suitable for residential and commercial applications, flow controls and electronics, condensing units and cold chain solutions.
The manufacturing establishments in Mumbai and Chennai complete the “Make-in-India” vision harnessing the potential of local skill and market proximity.
Additional engineering and IT centers in Pune, Chennai, Mohali and Noida are focused towards continuous improvement and developing innovative solutions that solve the most pressing needs of customers in the region. Key applications include, implementation, administration and maintenance of IT technologies and tools, power and water solutions, process systems and solutions, valve automation, project management, et all.