Corporate Social Responsibility
For 91 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. With 2016 sales and revenues of $38.537 Billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives.
The company principally operates through its three product segments – Construction Industries, Resource Industries and Energy & Transportation, and also provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
With more than 100,000 employees worldwide, and over 3 million products at work around the world; Caterpillar’s global reach and presence is unmatched in the industry. We serve in more than 180 countries around the globe with more than 300 products. More than half of our sales are out-side of the United States. Our manufacturing, marketing, logistics, service, R&D and related facilities along with our dealer locations total more than 500 locations worldwide, ensuring that we remain geographically close to our global customer base.
At Caterpillar, we are dedicated to transforming lives in the communities where we live and work. Together with our partners, we champion programs that support education, environment and basic human needs – which help people help themselves out of poverty.
- Education: We support programs that achieve a measurable knowledge increase, improvement in academic progress, or employment outcomes for individuals. Access to quality education helps break the cycle of generational poverty, contributes to business growth and builds strong economies. We invest in holistic programs that focus on numeracy and literacy, improving academic outcomes, financial literacy and workforce readiness. We also focus on various skill development initiatives which are in alignment with Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiative of Skill India.
- Environment: Restoring the environment while building the local economy is critical to long-term sustainable development. We support environmental programs that focus on restoring natural infrastructure while improving quality of life.
- Basic needs: When people’s basic human needs are met, they are able to more effectively pursue economic and education opportunities. We contribute to basic human needs through food, water, shelter and energy. The focus is further enhanced in the event of any unfortunate instance of disaster etc.
Award and Recognition
Caterpillar India was awarded with the Golden Peacock Award 2016 for Sustainability.
Caterpillar India in alignment with Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiative of Skill India has implemented a unique skill development program in the state of Rajasthan. Under the project Caterpillar India in partnership with the Department of technical Education (DTE) and the Rajasthan Skill and Livelihoods Development Corporation (RSLDC) has ensured successful up gradation of an existing government Industrial Training Institute (ITI) at District Jhalawar into a world class ITI and skill training centre for the development of skills, innovation and enterprise. A “Centre of Excellence” in ITI, Jhalawar is being developed in the campus for training and skilling activities related with operation and maintenance of ‘Earth Moving Equipment’ used in construction and mining sector.
The courses currently being implemented under the program are for operator training on earthmoving equipment for construction sectors. Students who have completed the training have successfully found employment as operators in various organizations. Students also regularly participate in a career fairs to increase their exposure towards the heavy machinery industry.
Education is one of the pillars of focus of the Caterpillar India Corporate Social Responsibility mandate. Caterpillar achieves this vision by partnering with various organisations and causes such as:
- Igniting Passion for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math): Caterpillar works with the FIRST LEGO League to ignite young people’s passion through annual robotics competitions and help create science and technology leaders of tomorrow.
- Bridging Gaps in Education: Caterpillar has partnered with Samridhdhi Trust to run Bridge education programs combining literacy, knowledge and skills for out-of-school-children (OOSC) to make education “effective” for underprivileged children of Bangalore. The program also admits OOSC to mainstream schools after one year bridging and continue supporting them with after school tuition program.
- Enhancing School Recognition: In Chennai, Caterpillar has been working with the Chellammal school for up gradation of school infrastructure in order to obtain school recognition for the state level school that enrols students from grades 1- 10.