Interactive Session – U.S. Congressional Delegation
On 19 August 2014, a Congressional Delegation from the U.S. visited India to become better informed on the scope and potential for U.S.-India economic cooperation, strengths & weaknesses and how to bolster the relationship by influencing U.S. legislation.
The visiting U.S. Congressional Delegation included:
• Representative Mr. Steve Chabot (R-Ohio), Member, House Foreign Affairs Committee (HFAC); Chair of the Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific
• Representative Mr. Luke Messer (R-Indiana), Member, HFAC; Member, House Financial Services Committee (HFSC)
Congressmen Chabot and Messer were accompanied by:
• Mr. Kevin Fitzpatrick, Staff Director, Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific
• Mr. Stephen Goldrup, Counterterrorism Coordinator for South Asia, U.S. Embassy
• Mr. Hugo Yon, Deputy Economic Minister Counselor, U.S. Embassy
• Ms. Robyn Kessler, Commercial Officer, U.S. Embassy
• Mr. Paul Frost, Commercial Officer, U.S. Embassy
The Congressmen met Amcham members at ACSA for lunch to discuss challenges and opportunities for American businesses in India. Among the many requests presented to the Congressmen, highlights included:
• Commitment in the energy sector by PM Modi is very optimistic.
• Value of Ex-Im Bank and how it has contributed to success for many companies in India
• Need for US companies to compete with Japan in terms of financing projects
• Medical device tax
• Compulsory licensing remains a concern
• India plans on building 200 airports and modernizing 50 existing airports
• Proposed the idea of a joint committee between US and Indian government to get capital flowing
• Concern regarding imposing trade barriers on US technology
• The need for an institution of framework between both governments
The companies that were represented at the meeting include Azure Power, Bank of America, Boeing, Citi Bank, Coca-Cola, Edgewood, Eli Lilly, GE, Hughes Network Systems, Koura & Company, Lockheed Martin, Penn Schoen Berland, Raytheon, Synergics Hydro, United Technologies Corporation and Zimmer.