Breakfast Meeting on Chennai Smart City Infrastructure
Recognizing the need for businesses to share in the task of making Chennai a better place to live and work, AmCham organized a meeting on 17th June, 2016 with Mr. Raj Cherubal, Chief Resilience Officer for Chennai. Over 40 representatives from member companies participated in the discussion.
Mr. Raj Cherubal made a presentation on the civic conditions prevalent in Chennai and compared it with that of several cities of similar area and demographics in Asia and Latin America. He stated that Clean Chennai is a Corporation of Chennai initiative to catalyze a city-wide shift in citizens’ attitudes towards solid waste – ownership, treatment, and management.
He engaged with member companies to enlist the active support of all stakeholders – ragpickers, residents, commercial establishments, institutions and others – to manage waste in an ecologically, socially, and economically sustainable manner.
The simple one line message he conveyed is: ‘Do not litter. Put waste where it belongs. In the right bins and at the right time.’
Mr. Raj Cherubal exhorted AmCham companies to work with the Clean Chennai movement to:
- Progress in the fight against garbage
- Create awareness on best waste management practices in Chennai
- Reduce waste – will help save both the planet and money
- Turn organic waste into something useful – like compost, biogas, or electricity
- Set up a biogas facility on campus to fuel the campus kitchen
- Reuse waste – donate, sell used furniture, furnishing, clothes, electronics and other accessories
- Recycle waste – contact competent recyclers, making less waste go to landfills or dumpsites
Member companies expressed their support to the Clean Chennai movement as part of their CSR campaign.